We have collaborated with Arun from Green Saffron to create this extremely limited edition beer which will have a soft malt character which underpins the pronounced spice and fruit flavours contributed by both the fermentation and by the addition of the spices.
What is a Saison?
Saison is a traditional Belgian Farmhouse style of beer. It was originally brewed to satiate the thirst of farmworkers during the Summer months. It is a light bodied pale beer that is low in hop bitterness. A special yeast is used to provide the light body and this yeast typically imparts some spiciness to the flavour. Modern saisons are great beers for showcasing flavours introduced from other ingredients…
Why Spice Bag?
We recommend a Spice Bag as a food accompaniment on one of our other beers, I Will Yeah Pale Ale. This led us to the idea of creating our own Spice Bag mix so customers can make their own spice bag at home to enjoy with our beers. We have been working with Arun Kapil of Green Saffron Spices to come up with a mix and are about to choose one and place an order. The Spice Bag mix will be available on our website when we launch this beer. We are also using the Spice bag mix as an ingredient in this beer.
Richie Wilson the executive head chef at Fire Restaurant Dublin has created the perfect recipe for this spice bag mix.
Along with the spice bag pack you will also need:
40ml cooking oil, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 (medium)sliced white onion,1 Red bell pepper, finely sliced, 1 Thai green chili pepper (or use a hotter pepper) finely chopped, 3 spring onions sliced at an angle, 400-500g of chips straight from the fryer,
You can add 300g of hot tempura shrimp or calamari, chicken goujons or breaded Tofu or a mix.
How to make your Spice Bag
- Heat a large wok or pan over a high heat and add the oil.
- To the oil add the white onion, bell pepper, chili peppers and garlic, mixing continuously.
- Lower the heat a little and add the entire bag of SPICE BAG mix, continue to toss or mix ensuring the spices get all over the onion mix.
- Remove from the heat and add the hot chips and prawn/squid/chicken/tofu.
- Add in the spring onions and gently mix all ingredients so as not to break up the chips.
- For an authentic effect serve in a brown paper bag or a parchment paper cone.
- Best served with St. Mel’s Beer
This 750ml brilliant beer will be included in our birthday beer box and is available for pre-order today. Get your orders in so you don’t miss out!